The Orton-Gillingham approach is a multisensory phonics-based approach to reading, writing and spelling.
- Explicit instruction in the written code of the English language.
- One-to-one tutoring that allows constant interaction between the tutor and student to maximize learning each tutoring session.
- A sequential step by step approach that is success oriented.
- A positive learning environment that centers on enabling students to become self-correcting and independent learners.
The Orton-Gillingham approach to therapeutic tutoring can benefit:
- Students who are struggling with reading, writing and/or spelling and performing below their expected level in these areas.
- Students who have not been successful with other reading programs.
- Students who are dyslexic.
- Students who guess at words or struggle to read unfamiliar words.
These persons can succeed when those responsible for their success:
- Understand language; its processing; production and structure.
- Understand the nature of a specific language difference and its ramification.
- Understand the way dyslexics learn.